Where are the GRO indexes available?
New Zealand, USA, and Canada.
If you can add to/correct to the information on this page, please contact
Information wanted: Location of index, years of index held,
cost, hours of operation, contact info/phone number.
Please note that most Latter-Day Saint Family History Centers (LDS FHC) have
GRO indexes or are able to cheaply bring in the fiche so check your local FHC
for sources at the LDS website: http://www.familysearch.org/
The General Register Office Web Pages at:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ficheholders.asp provides information on Fiche locations and
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/research/groindexes/holders_of_the_gro_indexes.asp provides information on holders of the GRO Indexes.
- ONS - the fiche are for sale
Single year one event (e.g. births or marriages or deaths) 24 pounds
Single year all events (e.g. births & marriages & deaths) 72 pounds
Prices including postage & packing but excluding 17.5% VAT (a UK sales
Overseas purchases do not pay VAT. (Non EU, I think)
- Family History Centers (LDS) has GRO BMD indexes as both microfilm and
microfiche (up to Dec 1983). Film can be ordering into any Family History
Center around the world and the fiche stays in the center indefinitely while
the film usually stays for about 1 month.
To find the location of the nearest Family History Center, check out their
England - in order of County
- Bath Central Library, 19 The Podium, Northgate St., Bath BA1 5AN, has GRO
BMD indexes from 1837 to 1910. Phone: 0122 542 8144.
- Bristol City Library, College Green, Bristol, BS1 5TL, has an almost
complete set of GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1983. There are at least 7
fiche readers which have to be booked and there is a booking charge. Some of the fiche are very dark and hard to read. Phone: 0117 9037202. In 2002/3 somebody stole large numbers of fiche. They have taken mostly from S to Z for all years and the whole of 1984 to 1992.
- LDS Family History Center, 721 Wells Road, Bristol has GRO BMD on film and
fiche. No charge but time has to be booked. Phone 01275 838276, 01275
838326, 01275 838937.
- Bedford Central Library, Harpur St., Bedford MK40 1PG, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1992 (machines can be booked in advance). Phone: 01234
- County Reference Library, Walton St., Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, HP20
1UU, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01296 382250.
- Milton Keynes Central Library has GRO BMD Fiches. No charge for use of
Fiche Reader. A4 printouts charged for. Located in the family history/local
studies library which is on the ground floor.
- Cambridgeshire Record, Shire Hall, Castle Hill, Cambridge, CB3 0AP, has
GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1912. Phone: 01223717282.
- Middlesbrough Archives has incomplete set of GRO Birth records.
- Middlesbrough Central Library, Reference department, Victoria Square,
Middlesbrough, Cleveland, TS1 2AY, has a GRO BMD index from 1837 to 1992. It
is free to the public. Phone: 01642 263359.
- Stockton Reference Library, Church Road, Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland, TS18
1TU has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01642 393994, Fax: 01642
393929. It is free, but you must ring to book a reader.
- Cornish Studies Library, 2-4 Clinton Road, Redruth, Cornwall, TR15 2QE has
GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1939. Phone: 01209216760. Bookings advisable.
Open from 10:00-18:00 Mon-Fri and 09:00-12:00 Sat.
No charge but a donations box is on the wall as you go out!
- Cornwall Family History Society Library, 5 Victoria Square, Truro,
Cornwall, TR1 2RS, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as overseas
records. One pound per day is charged for use of the indexes which goes
towards the cost of the original purchase. Phone: 01872 223797.
- Carlisle Library, 11 Globe Lane, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3 8NX, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1996 as well as oversea records. Phone: 01228 607321.
- Barrow Records Office, Ramsden Square, Barrow in Furness, Cumbria has GRO
BMD indexes. Fiche readers can be booked in advance. Tel 01229
- Derbyshire FHS, Bridge Chapel House, St Mary's Bridge, Sowter Road, Derby,
DE1 3AT, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1955.
- Local Studies Library, Derbyshire Libraries & Heritage, County Hall,
Matlock, Derbyshire, DE4 3AG, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1955 as well
as overseas records. Phone: 01629 585579.
- Devon FHS, Units 3B & 4B 7/9 King St., Exeter, Devon, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1901. Phone (Secretary's number): 01392 275917.
- North Devon Athenaeum, Tuly St., Barnstaple, Devon, EX31 1EL, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1983. Phone: 01271 388607.
- Darlington Library, Crown St., Darlington, Durham, DL1 1ND, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01325 286450.
- Local Studies Library, Central Library, Clements Rd., Ilford, Essex, IG1
1EA, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 0181 478 7145 Ext 225.
They charge 1 pound per hour to view indexes but you can only book 1 hour at
- London Borough of Havering, Reference and Information Library, St Edwards
Way, Romford, Essex, RM1 3AR, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1908.
Telephone booking advised 01708 432389 but no charge.
- LDS FHC in Cheltenham has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to about 1984.
- Gloucestershire Family History Society, Spread Eagle Court, Northgate Street, Gloucester GL1 1SL. have GRO BMD indexes
on fiche for 1837-2002 and a large collection of other resources, visitors welcome,
see website http://www.gfhs.org.uk
- Archives and Local Studies, Central Library, Civic Centre, Bolton, Greater
Manchester, BL1 1SE, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1947 as well as
overseas records. Phone: 01204 522311.
- The Greater Manchester County Record Office, 56 Marshall St., New Cross, Manchester, M4 5FU,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 2002 as well as overseas records. Open Mon, Tue, Thu & Fri 09:00-17:00;
Wed 09:00-13:00; Sat (second and fourth of the month only) 09:00-12:00 noon and 13:00-16:00.
No appointment is necessary to visit the office but if you wish to be assured of a
machine to view microfilmed records then you can book in advance.
Phone: 0161 832 5284. Web Site www.gmcro.co.uk
- Heritage Library, Central Library, Wellington Road South, Stockport, SK1
3RS, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1891. Phone: 0161 474 4530.
- Basingstoke Library has GRO BM?D Fiches (unknown dates).
- Central Library, Guildhall Square, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO1 2DX, has GRO
BMD indexes from 1837 to 1983. Open 6 days a week, I think from something
like 9:30 - 7:00. Need to book to use a microfiche reader, no charge, and
take some form of ID with your address on it. You are also able to take
printouts for 25p. They also hold the IGI and the Probate listings. Phone:
01705 819311 Ext 232, 234.
- Hampshire Record Office, Sussex St., Winchester, Hampshire, SO23 8TH, has
GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Booking is necessary but no charge is
made for use. Opening hours are currently 09:00-19:00 weekdays & 09:00-16:00
Saturday. Phone: 01962 846154.
- The Occupier, 31 Barton Drive, Southampton, SO31 4RG, has GRO BMD for the
year of 1952.
- Herefordshire Record Office, Old Barracks, Harold St., Hereford, Herefordshire,
HR1 2QX, has GRO index from 1837 to 1970. Opening hours are: Tues, Thurs, Fri
09:15-16.45, Wed 10.00-16.45 and every 2nd Saturday of the month 09.15-16.45
Phone to book appropriate reader 01432 260750 (Email: email@example.com).
Fiche and film readers have to be booked a couple of days in advance. Which type of
reader depends on the date of the indexes you wish to view as earlier ones are on film
and later ones on fiche. They do allow you to book both for the same session.
The telephone will continue to be answered and e-mails picked up on the closed Mondays.
- Hertford Archives & Local Studies (HALS), County Hall, Hertford,
Hertfordshire, SG13 8EJ, have GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 2000, as well as overseas records.
Open Mon 09:30-17:30, Tue 10:0-20:00, Wed & Thu 09:30-17:30, Fri 09:30-16.30, Sat 09:00-13:00.
HALS has 11 viewers available. It is not necessary to book unless you wish to consult original
documents on a Tuesday evening or Saturday morning. Phone: 01992 555115.
Web Site: http://www.hertsdirect.org/libsleisure/heritage1/HALS
Please note that original documents cannot be ordered between 12.15-2pm each day, or during the last hour before closing.
- Family History Unit, Central Library, Albion St., Hull, HU1 3TF, has GRO
BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as overseas records. Phone 01482
Isle of Wight
- Reference Library, Orchard St., Newport, Isle of Wight, PO30 1LL, has GRO
BMD indexes from 1837 to ?. Phone: 01983 83800.
- Bromley Central Library, Local Studies Dept, High St., Bromley, Kent, has
GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as overseas records. They have
about 12 machines, it is no longer necessary to book. Phone: 0181 460 9955 Ext 261.
- Bromley South Library has GRO BMD indexes.
- The Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies, Northgate, Canterbury,
Kent, CT1 1BA, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1993 as well as overseas
records. Phone: 01227 768664.
- Family History Centre, LDS, Chorley, Lancs, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837
- Reference & Information Service, Harris Library, Market Square,
Preston, Lancashire, PR1 2PP, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1983. Phone:
- Reference Library of Blackpool Central Library, Queen Street, Blackpool,
FY1 1PX has GRO Birth indexes from 1837 to 1881 (Births 1882-1900, Marriages
1837-1852 coming soon). Advance booking of
reader/printer (2 available) recommended. Fiche readers usually available
without booking. No charge for viewing. Printing 20p per copy. Library
opening hours: Mon & Fri 09:00-17:00 Wed & Sat 10:00-17:00. Tue & Thu
09:00-19:00. Phone: 01253 478090.
- Leicestershire & Rutland Family History Society, Freeschool
Lane, Leicester, Leicestershire, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1950.
Phone: 0116 2516567. Web Page click here
- Lincolnshire Archives, St Rumbold St, Lincoln, LN2 5AB have GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1990ish. Principal Archivist: Gershom Knight firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 01522 525158 Fax: 01522 530047 Hours: Mon 13:00-19:00, Tue-Fri 09:00-17:00, Sat
09:00-16:00. Admission free. Readers Ticket required.
- City of Westminster Archives has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1900.
- Family History Centre, Hyde Park Temple, 64-68, Exhibition Rd, Sth
Kensington, SW7 2PA. has GRO BMD indexes on fiche. Phone: 0171-589-8561
- Greenwich Local History Library, Woodland, 90 Mycenar Rd., Blackheath,
London, SE3 7SE, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 0181 858
- Redbridge Local Studies Library, Ilford has GRO BMD Fiches from 1837 to
1992. Telephone booking necessary 0181 478 9421. There is no charge. They
have the IGI and 1881 Census and computer searches as well.
- Society of Genealogists, 14 Charterhouse Buildings, Goswell Road, London,
EC1M 7BA, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1920 as well as overseas records.
Phone: 0171 250 0290. www.sog.org.uk
- The LB Sutton Archive & Local Studies Searchroom, Level 5 West,
Central Library, St Nicholas Way Sutton, Surrey SM1 1EA, has GRO Birth &
Marriage from 1837-1900. Hours: Tue&Fri 09:30-12:0, Wed&Thu 14:00-19:30
1st&3rd Sat 09:30-13:00, 14:00-16:45 1st&3rd Sun 14:00-17:00.
Phone: (020) 8770 4747
- The following London record offices have GRO Birth & Marriage from
1837-1900: Barking & Dagenham, Bishopsgate Institute, Bromley, Harrow,
Havering, Hounslow, and Lambeth.
- Huyton Reference Library, Civic Way, Huyton, Knowsley, Merseyside, L36
9GD, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1983. No charge, good reader/printer.
Phone: 0151 443 3738.
- Local History Unit, Crosby Library, Crosby Road North, Waterloo,
Liverpool, Merseyside, L22 0LQ, has GRO Birth and Marriage indexes from 1837
to 1920. Phone: 0151 928 0487/8. Booking advised - Telephone 0151 257 6401
or 0151 934 5773.
- Local History and Archives, Gamble Institute, Victoria Square, St Helens,
Merseyside, WA10 1DY, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1960 as well as
overseas records. Phone: 01744 456 952.
- Record Office & Local History Library, 4th floor Central Library,
William Brown St., Liverpool, L3 8EW, has GRO BMD Fiches 1837 to 1940. There
are 6? machines. They charge 50p, hourly bookings only.
Phone: 0151 225 5417.
- Southport Library has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1881 and have ordered
up to 1906. Phone: 0151 934 2119.
- Mrs P Prior, 22 Water Mill Way, Hanworth, Feltham, Middlesex, TW13 5NG,
has GRO Birth records from 1837 to 1842. Phone: 0181 894 6327.
- The Reference Library, PO Box 4 Civic Centre, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1
2UU, has GRO BMD indexes on fiche from 1837 to 1887. The fiche are in good
condition. Phone: 020 8424 1055/6.
- Hounslow Library, Treaty Center, Hounslow, Middlesex, has GRO BM Fiches
from 1837 to 1888. Copies cost 10p each but you need two copies for each
page of the fiche. If you enlarge the sheets, it costs an extra 20p each but
worth it to avoid eye-strain.
- Central Library, Gildengate House, Anglia Square, Norwich, Norfolk, NR3
1AX, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01603 215265.
- Norwich Record Office has some GRO Fiches from 1837 to 1992.
- Berwick-Upon-Tweed Record Office, Council Offices, Wallace Green,
Berwick-Upon-Tweed, Northumberland, TD15 1ED, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837
to 1881. Phone: 01289 350044 Ext 230.
- Morpeth Records Centre, They Kylins, Loansdean, Morpeth, Northumberland
NE61 2EQ (note this is not where to send written enquires) has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1980. Open M, Tue&Wed 09:30-13:00, 14:00-17:00, Tue open to
20:00. It is essential to book a microfilm reader in advance of a visit.
Phone: 01670 504 084
- Information on Record offices in Northumberland can be found at
- LDS FHC, Stanhome Square, West Bridgford, Nottingham, NG2 7GF, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1903 (1906 for births) as well as overseas records.
Phone: 0115 9144255.
- Notts Archives, County House Castle, Meadow Rd, Nottingham, NG2 1AG, has
GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1925. Phone: 0115 958 1634. Opening hours are
Mon,Wed,Thu&Fri 09:00-16:45, Wed 09:00-19:00 and Sat 09:00-12:45.
- Centre for Oxfordshire Studies, Central Library, Westgate, Oxford,
Oxfordshire, OX1 1DJ, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1993. Fiche
reader hire 1 pound for 3 hours. Fiche hard-copy 50p per A4 sheet
Open: Mon, Tues 09.15 to 19:00; Thu, Fri, Sat 09:15 to 17:00; Closed
all day Wed.
- Bath Central Library, 19 The Podium, Northgate St., Bath, Somerset, BA1
5AN, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1910. Phone: 01225 428144
- Bristol City Library (Reference), College Green, Bristol, Somerset, BS1
5TL, has an almost complete set of GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1998. There
are at least 8 fiche readers which have to be booked and there is no charge.
Some of the pages are very dark and hard to read. Phone: 0117 929 9147.
Currently the Family History section of the library is closed for
maintenance work. There are limited resources so you might check before going
if the fiche is available (it has to be fetched by staff)
- LDS Family History Center, 721 Wells Road, Bristol has GRO BMD on film and
fiche. No charge but time has to be booked. Phone 01275 838276, 01275
838326, 01275 838937.
- LDS FHC, Forest Hill, Yeovil, Somerset, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to
1906. Phone: 01935 426817.
- North Somerset Local Studies Library, Weston super Mare, Somerset, BS23
1PL has GRO BMD indexes. Phone: 01934 636638 Email: email@example.com
- Taunton Library in Somerset has GRO BMD indexes while the County Records
Office in Taunton does not have the indexes.
- Staffordshire Record Office, Eastgate St., Stafford, Staffordshire, ST16
2LZ, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1864. Phone: 01785 278373. (Booking
- Felixstowe Family History Society, The Room, Orwell High School, Maidstone
Rd., Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 7EP, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1910.
There are No Booking, 9 or more machines. Open Tue, Thu & Fri 10:00-12:00 &
- Suffolk Family History Society has very recently bought a set of GRO BMD
- Brighton Reference Library, Church St., Brighton, East Sussex, BN1 1UE,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01273 296969.
- Worthing Library, Richmond Rd., Worthing, West Sussex, BN11 1HD, has GRO
BMD indexes from 1837 to 2004. They also hold the Miscellaneous Records of
overseas BDM's They have 4 Fiche machines that need to be booked in advance
with a maximum of two hours per day. Phone: 01903 704824. e-mail:
- Public Record Office, Kew, Surrey.
Tyne & Wear
- Local Studies Centre, City Library & Arts Centre, 28-30 Fawcett St.,
Sunderland, Tyne and Wear, SR1 1RE, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1983.
- Local History Department, Central Library, Prince George Square, South
Shields, Tyne and Wear, NE33 2PE, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1950.
Phone: 0191 4271717 Ext 2135.
- Newcastle City Library, Princess Square, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE99 1DX,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as overseas records. There is
no charge and no booking system for fiche readers. Phone: 0191 2610691
(Humanities & Arts)
- Northumberland & Durham FHS, 2nd Floor, Bolbec Hall, Westgate Rd.,
Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE1 1SE, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1886. Phone:
0191 261 2159.
- Warwickshire County Record Office, Priory Park, Cape Road, Warwick CV34 4JS
has microfiches for BMD from Sep 1837 to Dec 1983. Tel: +44 (0)1926 738959,
Fax: +44 (0)1926 738969, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org,
Website: http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/countyrecordoffice. Opening hours
are Tue-Thu 09:00 to 17.30, Fri 09.00 to 17.00 and Sat 09.00 to 12.30. The
Record Office is closed for the first full week of each month (open on the
- Archives and Local History Service (Dudley MBC), Mount Pleasant St.,
Coseley, West Midlands, WV14 9JR, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1950 as
well as overseas records. Phone: 01384 812770.
- Central Library, Smithford Way, Coventry, West Midlands, CV1 1FY, has GRO
BMD indexes from 1837 to 1984. Phone: 02476 832366.
- Coventry FHC, Riverside Close, Coventry has GRO Births and Marriages from
1837 to 1984 plus deaths 1837 to 1889 and 1920? to 1984.
Phone: 02476 303316.
- Local Studies & History Service, Birmingham Central Library,
Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, West Midlands, B3 3HQ, has GRO BMD indexes
from 1837 to 1996 as well as overseas records. Charge is 50p per half hour.
Phone: 0121 303 4549/4220.
- Sandwell Community History & Archives Service, Smethwick Library, High
St., Smethwick, Warley, West Midlands, B66 1AB, has GRO BMD indexes from
1881 to 1920. Phone: 0121 558 2561. The above service has a number of
fiche and film readers - all of which can be booked in advance and
invariably are, so casually turning up will normally be a waste of time.
- Walsall Local History Centre, Essex St., Walsall, West Midlands, WS2 7AS,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1970 as well as overseas records. Phone:
- Wolverhampton Archives & Local Studies, 42-50 Snow Hill, Wolverhampton,
West Midlands, WV2 4AG, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as
overseas records. There are 5 machines, 4 of which may be booked in advance.
Charge for using machines is 50p per half hour. Closed on Thursdays. Phone:
- Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre, Cocklebury Road, Chippenham, Wiltshire,
SN15 3QN has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1950. Hours ( Tue - Sat 09:30
to 17:30) The use of microfiche readers is free, but at busy times they may
need to be booked in advance. Maximum time allowed 4 hours. Phone: 01249 705500
- Worcestershire Library & History Centre, Trinity Street, Worcester, WR1 2PW.
Tel: 01905 765921/765922/765924 has GRO indexes 1837-2000.
- East Riding Archive Office, County Hall, Beverley, North Yorkshire, Y01
7DS, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1881. Phone: 01482 885007.
- Harrogate Record Office has North Yorkshire GRO BMD indexes. They charge a
fee for searching.
- Leeds Local Studies and Family History Library has GRO BMD indexes from
1837 to 1980, fiches from 1980 to 1992. There is no charge for searching.
Microfilm readers can be booked in advance. There are limits on the number
of sessions per person per week. Bookings can be made by telephone 0113247
4882 from Mon-Fri 09:00-10:00 and 16:00-17:00, Sat 10:00-11:00.
Opening hours: Mon & Wed 09:00-20:00, Tue, Thu & Fri 09:00-17:30,
- Local History Library, Princess Alexandra Walk, Huddersfield, HD1 2SU, has
GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as overseas records. Phone: 01484
- Sheffield Archives, 52 Shoreham St., Sheffield, South Yorkshire, S1 4SP,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1983 as well as overseas records. Normal
opening hours (as of 15 Dec 1998): Mon-Thu 09:30-17:30, closed on Fridays and
open Sat 09:00-13:00 and 14:00-16:30. They operate a booking system on their
film and fiche readers and tend to get fully booked up a week to two weeks
in advance. It is always advisable to telephone them in advance on 0114 203
9395. Bring 2 forms of identification. Phone: 0114 273 4756.
- Reference Library, Central Library, Northgate House, Halifax, West
Yorkshire, HX1 1UN, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1906. Phone: 01422
357257 Ext 2631.
- Research & Study Library, 2nd Floor, Central Library, Leeds, LS1 3AB,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1980. Phone: 0113 247 8283.
- York Library, The Reference Library, Museum St., North Yorkshire, Y01 7DS,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1980. Phone: 01904 655631 Ext 37/38.
- Hull, Northallerton (basically Local Studies or Ref) libraries have some
records. If you have details, contact me.
- Aberdeen FHS, 164 King St., Aberdeen, AB24 5BD, has GRO BMD indexes from
1837 to 1900 (1927 in Births) as well as overseas records. Phone: 01224
- Edinburgh Central Library, reference section has the GRO BMD indexes from
1837 to 1983. It's free to use but many pages from the early years are
- General Register Office for Scotland, New Register House, Edinburgh, EH1
3YT, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as overseas records.
Phone: 0131 334 0380.
- Carmarthenshire FHS, PO Box 41, Llanelli, Carms., SA15 2YF, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1850.
- The Carmathenshire Record Office, Parc Myrddin, Richmond Terrace,
Carmarthen, SA31 1DS has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Charge is 1
pound per hour - book machines in advance. Hours: Mon-Thu 9:00-16:45,
Fri 09:00a-16:15. Phone: 01267 228232
- National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3BU, has GRO BMD
fiche from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01970 632800.
- Flintshire Reference & Information Service, Library HQ, County Hall,
Mold, Flintshire, CH7 6NW, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1980. Phone:
- Bridgend Library and Information Service, Coed Parc, Park St., Bridgend
CF31 4BA, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01656 767451. Charge
for use is 50p per hour and 50p per page for photocopying.
- Glamorgan Record Office, Glamorgan Building, King Edward VII Ave., Cathays
Park, Cardiff, CF1 3NE, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as
overseas records. Phone: 01222 780282. Cost for access is 50p per half
- LDS FHC, Heol Llanishen Fach, Rhiwbina, Cardiff, South Wales, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1983. Phone: 01222 625342.
- West Glamorgan Archive Family History Centre, County Hall, Oystermouth
Rd., Swansea, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01792 636589.
It may be necessary to book fiche readers in advance.
- Newport Reference Library, Newport Libraries, John Frost Square, Newport,
NP9 1PA, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Phone: 01633 211376.
Tagish's directories of UK local government on the web, for lists of local
authorities, and links to their web-sites.
A Source to buy GRO BMD Fiche: MacBeth
Genealogical Services - Hampton Victoria, Australia
Australian Capital Territory
- National Library of Australia, Newspaper & Microcopy Reading Room,
Canberra, ACT, 2607, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 2001. Phone: 61 02
6262 11 11. Access is free, they are in the basement. Hours are Mon&Wed
09:00-21:00, Tue,Thu,Fri&Sat 09:00-17:00.
New South Wales
- 3 Hamel Close, Milperra, Sydney, NSW, 2214, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837
to 1850. Phone: 9771 3527.
- Australian Genealogical Education Centre, Railway Parade, Kiama, NSW,
2533, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992.
- Griffith Genealogical & Historical Society Inc, Tranter Place,
Griffith, NSW, 2680, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1930. Phone: (02) 6962
- Library, 24 Kent St., Sydney, 2000, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992
as well as overseas records. Phone: (02) 92473953.
- Research Room, PO Box 817, Ballina, NSW, 2478, has GRO BMD indexes from
1837 to 1896.
- State Library of NSW in Sydney, Macquarie Street, has GRO BMD index from
1837 to 1993 including the supplementary High commission, Army, deaths at
sea, etc. There is no charge to use it and they don't take bookings. Usually
enough fiche readers. Although can be busy. They encourage you to take a
year (of fiche) at a time. Fiche copying costs $0.60 per A4, $2 for A3. For
current hours of opening and for more information on this location, go to
their webpage at http://www.slnsw.gov.au/
- The Society of Australian Genealogists at 32 Kent St., Sydney has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1983. Need to book as only 4 fiche readers. They aren't
open nearly as often as the State Library! Tue, Wed, Thu, and Sat 10:30-16:00
(may not be current). They only let you have ONE fiche at a time.
- On line publications and resources for NSW can be found at:
- Australia's Immigration & Family History Centre, Natureworld, Cnr
Fairway Dr & Maryborough Rd., Pralba, Hervey Bay, Qld, 4655, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1983 as well as overseas records. Phone: 0741 284458. (Int
+61+741+284458) email email@example.com
Opening hours Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00 (winter 16:00) Sat 09:00-13:00. Cost $5/hr. Mail search
$10 for 3 years. Credit cards accepted.
- Genealogical Society of Queensland is located at 38 Fisher Street, East Brisbane, Queensland, 4169.
The Resource Centre holds a range of resources including books, microfilms, fiche, CDs including
CDs for most Australian states. We also have specific Queensland resources including Catholic
Parishes for south east Queensland, cemetery indexes for Queensland and the Queensland Muster
1859-1901. The Society is an approved site for using LDS fiche and microfilms.
We have volunteers to help if required.
|Opening Hours:||Tuesday-Friday 10am-3pm, Saturday noon-4pm 2nd & 4th Wednesday 6pm - 9pm.
Bookings not necessary. |
|Memberships:||single A$69.80 includes A$11.50 joining fee, family A$104.80
including $11.50 joining fee, also includes GST. Non-member daily fee A$16.50. |
|Telephone:||+61 7 3891 5085. |
|Postal address:||PO Box 8423, Woolloongabba, QLD. Australia. |
- Maryborough Family Heritage Institute Inc., Maryborough, Queensland, 4650,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1940.
- Queensland Family History Society Inc, Old Albion Fire Station, 42 Bridge
St., Albion, Brisbane, Queensland, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992.
Postal Address: PO Box 171, INDOOROOPILLY, Queensland, 4068) Phone: 61 7 38
57 57 44. firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.qfhs.org.au/index.htm
- City of Playford Local & Family History Centre, 3 Windsor Square,
Elizabeth, South Australia, 5112, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1902.
- Salisbury Public Library Service, Len Beadell Library, 55 John St.,
Salisbury, South Australia, 5108, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1900.
Phone: (08) 8406 8283.
- South Australian Genealogy & Heraldry Society, 201 Unley Rd., Unley,
5061, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1955 as well as overseas records.
Phone: 08 8272 4222.
- 2 Taylor St., Invermay, Launceston, Tasmania, 7250, has GRO BMD indexes
from 1837 to 1867. Phone: 63 445258 or 63312145 until 5 May.
- Genealogical Society, Launceston Branch, PO Box 1290, Launceston Branch,
PO Box 1290, Launceston, Tasmania, 1290, has GRO BMD indexes.
- GST Inc, Branch Libraries, PO Box 60, Prospect, Tasmania, has GRO BMD
indexes. Marriages from 1837 to 1867. Birth and Deaths from 1868 to 1942 as
well as overseas records.
- Australian Institute of Genealogical Studies Inc., 1/41 Railway Road,
Blackburn, 3130 has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1938 plus GRO miscellaneous
index to 1994 and overseas records. Hours M-W & S 10am-4pm, M & Tu
7pm-10pm, F 1pm-4pm. Cost: $10 day visit, Membership $45 annually, plus $10
initial joining fee. Telephone (61 3) 9877-3789 Fax: (61 3) 9877-9066. Web
- Genealogical Society of Victoria, 179 Queen St., Melbourne, Victoria,
3000, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1915 as well as other local and overseas records.
Web address: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~gsv
Library Hours: http://www.alphalink.com.au/~gsv/hours.htm
- State Library of Victoria, 328 Swanston St, Melbourne, Vic, 3000, has GRO
BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992. Hours: Mon & Wed 10:00-21:0, Tue & Thu-Sun
10:00-18:00 (closed on public holidays) Phone: (61)(3) 9669-9888 General
number, (61)(3) 9669-9080 Genealogy Centre. No bookings on fiche readers
(~12) just sign in. Copying AUD$0.50 per copy A4 or A3. You need to purchase
a "swipe card" for photocopy credits. No other costs involved.
Other resources available. http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/
- State Library of Western Australia, Alexander Library Building, Perth Cultural Centre,
Perth WA 6000, has GRO BMD indexes from 1837-1970. Phone: 08 9427 3111
( International: +61 8 9427 3111)
- Genealogical Society in May Street, Bayswater has GRO BMD indexes from
1837 - 1992.
- Rockingham Branch (50 km south of Perth) Western Australia Genealogical
Society Library situated in Lotteries House, Rockingham has GRO Death
indexes ONLY on microfiche from 1837 to 1983. Library Open Mon evening, Tue
morning, Wed morning, Fri all day, Sat 12:00-14:00. Closed Thu, Sun and Public
- Auckland (New Zealand) Public Library has a full set of the GRO BMD
indexes for England. The fee for non Auckland City Ratepayers is $NZ 10 per
day, $NZ 30 per week and $NZ120 per year. The library's heritage section's
email address is
- Auckland Research Centre, Auckland City Libraries, Lorne St., Auckland,
has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1992 as well as overseas records. Phone: 09
- New Zealand National Library, in Wellington, NZ, holds the fiche. Quality
for early years - bad.
- New Zealand Society of Genealogists has GRO BMD indexes in fiche for use
by members for minimal charge. Website for NZSG is
and e-mail to
for more details.
- Porirua Public Library, 4 Norrie & Parumoana Sts, Porirua, has GRO BMD
indexes from 1837 to 1930. Phone: 04 237 1533.0
- Palmerston Nort N.Z. LDS FHC has GRO BMD indexes (unknown years)
- Los Angeles Regional LDS FHC has GRO BMD indexes. They hold film as follows: Birth
1837 to 1906, Marriages 1837 to 1903, and Death 1837 to 1903. They
also hold microfiche BMD from 1837 to 1980's. They also have Scotland &
Ireland BMD indexes as well as some Ireland certificates. http://www.larfhc.org/
- Salt Lake City, Family History Library has GRO BMD indexes as both
microfilm and microfiche (up to Dec 1983). Film is free to view at the
Library and can be ordering into any Family History Center for around
$3.50/film. Fiche is $0.15 per sheet. Prices in Canada CDN$6/film,
- Most Family History Societies have GRO BMD indexes. Rather than list
each FHC, I have added a link for you to find the location of the nearest Family History Center, check out
their website http://www.familysearch.org/
- Calgary LDS FHC, 2021 - 17th Ave SW, Calgary, has GRO BMD indexes from
1837 to 1949 (Births and Deaths to 1953). Phone: 403 571 3700.
- Abbotsford LDS FHC /Abbotsford Genealogical Society has Microfilm copies
(1866 - 1896 BM) and Microfiche copies (Births 1837 - 1846 plus assorted up
to 1917; Marriages assorted from 1841 - 1923 incomplete; Deaths
assortment from 1868 - 1971) This collection is growing. Fiche brought in as
patrons order them in. Phone: (604) 852-8043.
- Burnaby LDS FHC has Microfilm copies and Microfiche copies from 1837 to
1906. Plus some later years. Fiche brought in as patrons order them in.
Phone: (604) 299-8656.
- Campbell River Genealogy Society, 621 Island Highway, Campbell River has
the GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1949 on microfiche. Library open Mon 21:00-21:00,
Tue & Thu 10:00-15:00. Phone 250-286-8042 or e-mail email@example.com.
- Nanaimo LDS FHC has GRO BMD indexes from 1837 to 1899. They also
have some up to 1920 with some years missing.
- Surrey LDS FHC has Microfiche copies. Mainly early years but incomplete
and of varying quality. This collection is young but growing. Fiche brought
in as patrons order them in. Phone: (604) 597-9695.
- Brampton, ON, Canada LDS FHC has GRO BMD fiche from 1837 to 1900.
- Etobicoke, ON, Canada LDS FHC has Microfilm copies (1837-1906ish) and
Microfiche copies (1906ish-1983).
- Hamilton, ON, Canada LDS FHC has GRO BMD microfilms from 1837 to about
1903 (and others later).
- Kitchener, ON, Canada LDS FHC has GRO BMD indexes from 1837-1988 with a
few gaps in the 1940's.
- London, ON, Canada LDS FHC on Riverside Drive has GRO BMD indexes.
- Ottawa, ON, Canada LDS FHC has Microfilm copies (1837-1899) and Microfiche
- Petawawa LDS FHC, Civic Centre Road has a few GRO BMD indexes. They have
only brought in what patrons have ordered. Phone: (613) 687-2237.
Other sources: Check out your local genealogical
society/library as well as your local LDS Family History Center.
Thanks to Mary Muir for the initial preparation of this page.
FreeBMD Main Page
|Search engine, layout and database
Copyright © 1998-2017 The Trustees of Free UK Genealogy CIO, a charity registered in England and Wales, Number 1167484.
We make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or
completeness of the FreeBMD data.
Use of the FreeBMD website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions