Welcome to the FreeBMD Transcribers' page.
This page provides information about issues associated with transcribing for FreeBMD
and is therefore of interest to people who:
- transcribe index pages,
- manage syndicates (syndicate coordinators)
- are involved in management of transcribing (e.g. corrections) and
- help with the development of FreeBMD.
Unable to find the information you require? Try using our website search engine by clicking on the Explore logo:
If you experience errors while uploading data (or other website related problems),
please report them to us at
saying what you were doing (i.e. submitting, searching), the URL and the
exact time (and timezone) that this happened (including the text of any
error messages). Thank you.
Please note that this address must not be used to report errors in the data held by FreeBMD.
If you have a correction to an entry click click on the
button next to the entry and follow the instructions for submitting a correction.
If you have problems relating to your user id or syndicate (e.g. cannot contact syndicate
coordinator) please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
Transcriber Support & Resources
- Mailing Lists. If you would like to become involved in the project, please
join one of our mailing lists.
- Search the List Archives -
all the lists
- The #FreeBMD IRC Channel.
- The website is constantly under development. We appreciate your
feedback (note that this link will send
an email to the Discuss mailing list).
- See what people are saying about us on our Bouquets Page.
- Hints for Co-ordinators
- Syndicate maintenance Add new users to your syndicate.
- Upload Report. Check files uploaded by transcribers in your Syndicate.
- Syndicate Information. Gives information about syndicates, including syndicate statistics.
- Show File. Gives read access to files uploaded by transcribers in your Syndicate (to download files see below).
- Show File Differences. Reports the differences between two files, or between previous versions of a file.
- Show File with download. Allows download of files uploaded by transcribers in your Syndicate.
- Upload Errors. This listing gives the files that were rejected during the last update.
- FreeBMD Ranges. This gives the events and periods allocated to each Syndicate.
- Processes An overview of the steps that the project goes through to ensure data accuracy.
- Access to Syndicate Members' Files Process for accessing Syndicate Members (i.e. transcribers' files.
- Deletion of Submitter IDs Process for deleting submitter IDs of transcribers who have not uploaded files for some time.
- Duplicate Files Check for the same file uploaded by more than one Syndicate Member.
- Duplicate Syndicate Pages Check for pages transcribed by more than one member of a Syndicate.
- Suspect Files A list of files uploaded by Syndicate Members that
have some anomoly that needs to be checked (e.g. files with an unexpectedly small number of entries
because only one column of a multi-column page has been transcribed). This now includes aliases in
the Associate Name (previously in a separate list)
- Self Confirmed Files Check for entries uploaded by Syndicate Members more than once
- Predict year/event/quarter for a file from
the volume/page combinations in the file
- UCF files A list of files that have a high usage of
In addition to Transcribers and Co-ordinators, FreeBMD uses the services of a small number of people in a number
of teams who help to ensure that the accuracy of our data is improved. Some of these roles remain to be filled (an
announcement will be made when we are looking for people)
- District Alias Team - Co-ordinator Mary Trevan
- Query Investigation Team - Coordinator Kevin S. Howell
- Data Checking Teams - Coordinator TBA
- Resolution Teams - Coordinator TBA
- Central Resolution Team - Coordinator TBA
The FreeBMD Website is maintained by a small team of developers who help provide the facilities
used by our large team of transcribers ... additional transcribers are always welcome! The pages
in this section describe the development environment that we use, the processes involved, and
include some files which are a useful reference for developers.
The tools we use in the development process are CVS, a version control system, and PTS, a problem tracking system.
Below is a list of helpfiles and tutorials for the various tools and methods of development used on FreeBMD
- The software used to run FreeBMD.
- Design Guide showing the standard format of FreeBMD Web pages.
- HTML Preprocessor giving information
about the use of the HTML preprocessor used for all FreeBMD static web
- Schedule of updates and handoffs (for FreeUKGEN).
FreeBMD Main Page
|Search engine, layout and database
Copyright © 1998-2013 The Trustees of FreeBMD (Ben Laurie, Graham Hart, Camilla von Massenbach, David Mayall and Allan Raymond), a charity registered in England and Wales, Number 1096940.
We make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or
completeness of the FreeBMD data.
Use of the FreeBMD website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions