Welcome to the FreeBMD Transcribers' page.
This page provides information about issues associated with transcribing for FreeBMD
and is therefore of interest to people who:
- transcribe index pages,
- manage syndicates (syndicate coordinators)
- are involved in management of transcribing (e.g. corrections) and
- help with the development of FreeBMD.
Unable to find the information you require? Try using our website search engine by clicking on the Explore logo:
If you experience errors while uploading data (or other website related problems),
please report them to us at
saying what you were doing (i.e. submitting, searching), the URL and the
exact time (and timezone) that this happened (including the text of any
error messages). Thank you.
Please note that this address must not be used to report errors in the data held by FreeBMD.
If you have a correction to an entry click click on the
button next to the entry and follow the instructions for submitting a correction.
If you have problems relating to your user id or syndicate (e.g. cannot contact syndicate
coordinator) please contact the Volunteer Coordinator.
Transcriber Support & Resources
- Hints & Help for Beginners. Help getting started with transcribing using the transcription software.
- Submission Format. A definition of the formats for submitting entries using the transcription software or other means.
- Transcribers' Knowledge Base Gives answers to many questions
about transcribing and transcription software.
If you are having problems, or need to ask a question about
the transcriptions you are doing, check the Transcribers' Knowlege Base (TKB) first. Your question may already have been answered.
- Comments. Details about how to add comments to transcriptions.
- WinBMD Help. See the help file for WinBMD for details of using WinBMD, either from the Help menu in WinBMD or from the Program menu
- How to read 19th Century Handwriting - a guide for transcribers.
- FreeBMD News (last updated 30 June 2015).
- Transcription Software Including SpeedBMD and WinBMD.
- Syndicates and what that means.
- Allocations Pages showing which syndicate is doing which page.
- Where are the Indexes?. This is an incomplete list. Please help us to improve it.
- Scans available for transcription. This is where you go to access scans if you are transcribing using this method.
- Due to a lot of confusion over the transcribing of full stops (periods), all transcribers are asked to read this Policy Statement on the matter.
For the definitive guide on transcribing full stops, please see
- Mailing Lists. If you would like to become involved in the project, please
join one of our mailing lists.
- Search the List Archives -
all the lists
- The #FreeBMD IRC Channel.
- The website is constantly under development. We appreciate your
feedback (note that this link will send
an email to the Discuss mailing list).
- See what people are saying about us on our Bouquets Page.
In addition to Transcribers and Co-ordinators, FreeBMD uses the services of a small number of people in a number
of teams who help to ensure that the accuracy of our data is improved. Some of these roles remain to be filled (an
announcement will be made when we are looking for people)
- District Alias Team - Co-ordinator Martin Cope
- Query Investigation Team - Coordinator TBA
- Data Checking Teams - Coordinator TBA
- Resolution Teams - Coordinator TBA
- Central Resolution Team - Coordinator TBA
The FreeBMD Website is maintained by a small team of developers who help provide the facilities
used by our large team of transcribers ... additional transcribers are always welcome! The pages
in this section describe the development environment that we use, the processes involved, and
include some files which are a useful reference for developers.
The tools we use in the development process are CVS, a version control system, and Trac, a problem tracking system. Below is a list of helpfiles and tutorials for the various tools and methods of development used on FreeBMD
The following are list of references or tools that may be useful in diagnosing problems with the system
- The software used to run FreeBMD.
- Design Guide showing the standard format of FreeBMD Web pages.
- HTML Preprocessor giving information
about the use of the HTML preprocessor used for all FreeBMD static web
- Schedule of updates and handoffs (for FreeUKGEN).
- System Processes A guide to various processes provided for managing the system
- Quality Assurance Processes A guide to how to use various system tools (described below) to identify, analyse and correct quality issues in the FreeBMD data
- Show Records Facility to show records in the database from filename, chunk, accession, etc.
- Show Accession Facility to show entries in the database from a particular accession.
- Find file Facility to find a file, or files, from the filename (i.e. without knowing the userid).
- Aliasing Tools Facilities for the Data Aliasing Team to help process district names and synonyms
- Search for district synonyms Facility to search for the synonyms of a district (run offline and used with Aliasing Tools).
- List deployed files Facility to display the name and revision number of every file deployed on the system
- Make mail address Facility to create spam-proof mail addresses (as images) for incorporation into static and dynamic pages
- Find page entries Facility to list all the pages for a particular quarter - this is linked to from the help pages for finding a missing spouse but could also be useful in diagnostic situations
- Show update progress Facility to show the curent progress of the latest database update
- Show synchronisation Facility to show the state of files currently being synchronised from master to slaves
- Show state of handoff Facility to show the current states of a handoff of new files to the cluster
- Show WinBMD statistics Facility to display the usage of different versions of the upload interface and the software (mainly WinBMD) used (has to search the logs so can be slow)
- Show data file version Facility to display identifier of a data file (mainly used for the WinBMD districts file)
- Show databases Facility to display the dates of all databases
- Prepare gtml page Facility to convert a page from gtml to html (see gtml help)
- Superchunk Report Listing of the superchunks for each quarter
- Unaligned ONENAME report Listing, for all those quarters shown as nearly complete, of ONENAME transcriptions that have not been aligned
- Unresolved links A listing of system entries using #THEORY,LINK that do not matched any entry in the database
- Unresolved late entry references Unresolve references to late entries, that is references of the form see M/78M where the corresponding entry could not be found
- Dropped Records A listing of those records that have been dropped from the database, mostly RANDOM records in completed quarters that have not been aligned
- Inserted Records A listing of records, mainly RANDOM records, that have not been aligned to other records but have been inserted into search results
- Misalignments A listing, by quarter, of records that have not been aligned but probably refer to the same entry
- Failed alignments A listing of alignments using #THEORY,ALIGN or MakeAlignments.pl that do not match any records
- Manage Scans Utility to manage links to scans (requires login)
- Syndicate Report Utility to produce a report on the details of syndicates (requires login, if coordinator (as opposed to admin) only shows syndicates of which the user is a coordinator)
FreeBMD Main Page
|Search engine, layout and database
Copyright © 1998-2018 Free UK Genealogy CIO, a charity registered in England and Wales, Number 1167484.
We make no warranty whatsoever as to the accuracy or
completeness of the FreeBMD data.
Use of the FreeBMD website is conditional upon acceptance of the Terms and Conditions